What is a “fellowship” anyway?
Is it only used in movies about knights and armor..."Let us go and fellowship one with another!” and then they go and eat a leg of mutton together...Is it some secret religious club where all the “fellows” memorize the Bible and test each other on their knowledge? Is it a club where everyone wears the same outfit and there are strict rules about attendance and a secret handshake?What “fellowship” is not:
What a“fellowship” is:
- It’s not where you have to wear armor and eat large pieces of meat.
- It’s not a religious club or sect that test each other on their knowledge of the Bible.
- It’s not a scary place where you are judged, criticized or penalized for your past or present or your ideas or your opinions.
- It’s not a place where attendance is mandatory.
What a “fellowship” can be:
- It is a group of people living in the same place, or neighborhood or having something in common like activities, interests, feelings and experiences.
- It’s a company of friends.
- It’s a safe place to share your fears, hopes and dreams for yourself and the people you love.
- It’s a place where you don’t have to share if you don’t want to but if you do what you share is held in strictest confidence.
- It’s a place that accepts you as you are and where you are in your spiritual walk.
- It’s a place where there is respect for different opinions, experiences and backgrounds.
- It can be a place of comfort and peace.
- It can be a place of support.
- It can be a place of learning.
- It can be a place of building up and strengthening.
- It can be a place of growth…in all aspects of your life.
- It can be the start of long lasting and strong friendships.